As I get ready to type up paper comments, I can't help but reminisce about the comments I received as an undergraduate...
- Best Backhanded Comment: "You know, this paper is so well-written that I almost forgot that you had no argument." (On a rough draft, luckily. This one comes in handy when explaining to students that good writing does not necessarily a good paper make.)
- Best Scary Comment: "I'm normally against the death penalty, but I make an exception for undergraduates who use indefinite pronouns." (Delivered during a one-on-one conference. Remarkably effective.)
- Best Ironic Comment: "Pretty lousy exam." (Score: 99 out of 100.)
- Best Misspelled Comment: "Excellant!" (We all have momentary lapses...)
- Best Unpleasant-at-the-Time Comment: "I expected better of you." (Waaah. But since I wound up with an A+ in the course, I must have performed up to expectations later.)