A few days ago, I posted some examples of spirit photography at Metafilter; my readers here might find this Victorian phenomenon interesting, especially those of you up on spiritualism more generally.
- Do You Believe: A Ghostly Gallery: exhibition and discussion from the American Museum of Photography.
- The Perfect Medium: Photography and the Occult: an exhibition at the Met.
- Beyond the Grave: A Brief History of American Spirit Photography: courtesy of the American Philosophical Society.
- Jack & Beverly's Spirit Photographs: two collectors of historical photographs share some examples.
- Ghosts on Film: discusses several famous cases, including the related phenomenon of the Cottingley Fairies.
- Photographing History: discussion of spirit photography's appeal and a number of links at Spirit History, a website devoted to nineteenth-century American spiritualism.
- Looking Askance: chapter on William Mumler from a book on American art.
- Spiritualism and Spirit Photography: brief overview from Boston University's Photographic Resource Center.
- The Afterlife: another historical overview.