Ever since the dawn of time--or, at least, since the dawn of this blog--the stats have always peaked on Wednesdays. I have some theories:
1. Unexpected influence of Odin on academic blog readers.
2. At midweek, academics are desperate enough that they need to read blogs, but not yet desperate enough to drop everything and head for the bars.
3. A general sense of woe?
4. Because it's the middle of the week, everyone feels perched on a peak of perilous equilibrium. Therefore, they read blogs in order to tip themselves over, one way or the other.
5. Everyone is procrastinating on Thursday and Friday course prep.
6. Some kind of Foucauldian distribution of power-knowledge.
7. Academics realizing that they have scheduled all of their students' papers to arrive, once again, on Wednesday; they turn to blog reading as solace.
8. The expectation that I will be unusually brilliant on Wednesday? (As opposed to dull the other days?)
9. Manifesting the ineluctable power of centrism.
10. The ongoing war between superego, id, and ego resulting in a stalemate that leaves the reader no other mode of intellectual activity than reading blogs. On Wednesdays.