1. I have a citation in Victorian Reformations to double-check. It's in The Month, one of the leading Victorian Catholic magazines, and appeared in 1866. Unfortunately, the copy I used is in the Huntington Library, which happens to be on the other side of the country; while I wouldn't mind being in California right now (it is, after all, thirty degrees outside), I fear that I can't really justify the plane ticket.
2. Luckily, as a general rule, things that appeared in 1866 are now out of copyright. Perhaps someone at Google scanned the right volume!
3. Oh look, someone did.
4. Unfortunately, that general rule about things that appeared in 1866 does not apply here. Google only has the volume in snippet view, because of copyright issues. If someone actually holds copyright, they would appear to be in a state of advanced undeath. A vampire, perhaps?
5. I contemplate the outcome of a vampire copyright suit, and decide that it might turn on whether or not the vampires sparkle.
6. I go to archive.org, which has other volumes of The Month, but not this one. Curses, foiled again, etc.
7. I go to Hathitrust.org, which has the right volume of The Month. It's the volume of The Month scanned by Google! Which Hathitrust.org has in full view! Because they know that something published in 1866 is now in public domain!
8. I proceed to dance around the room in celebration, before remembering that I now have papers to grade.
In all seriousness, this is now the umpteenth time that I've found a scan with a Google watermark that cannot be accessed in full text on Google, but can elsewhere. This makes genuinely no sense to me, but presumably makes sense to Google.