My Photo
Blog powered by Typepad

Currently reading...

Personal favorites

Search my library

Library Thing

Victorian Studies


Fine Arts

Buy Books!



« This Week's Acquisitions | Main | This Week's Acquisitions »

January 21, 2017



Is there any convenient source that explains the code for classifying colleges and universities and who counts as what? I can guess what an R1 is and infer that there must be, at least, something called an R2, and so on, and it isn't hard to figure out what SLAC means. But I gather that there is a standard way of classifying and naming institutions and I like to get the terminology right.


The R1/R2 classifications are from the Carnegie Classifications, although the terms themselves have been superseded.

Tony Grafton

I'm one of three editors of a journal. We don't know the names or affiliations of authors when we decide which articles to reject immediately and which to send out to referees. Two of us read each anonymous pdf and reach a decision.

The comments to this entry are closed.